First signs of insanity.

108 Days to go. I have adopted the Half Marathon Training Guide for beginners from the Gold Coast Marathon website . Today is the first training day of the 16 week program before the SMH 1/2M. I must admit that I have resevations about the program. To put it simply, the longest run in the program is 1h 40m in week 10 before the taper commences. I really think that I should be running at least close to the distance before the race. Surely it would remove any doubt on race day about finishing the race. I downloaded the intermediate program as well, but found that the load was too much. I seriously dont think that my legs could manage 5 out of 7 days running. So I will place my trust in whoever drafted the beginners program (Pat Carroll ?) and press on. Day 1 - Speedwork 10 x 100m at moderate pace. Walk back in between. I ran the long way down to Queens Park to comply with the 10mins warm up and then started my "sprints". I can only assume that when the program states "easy" or "moderate" or "race" then they refer to my 10km pace. Well thats what I'll do anyway. Running in Queens Park in the pitch black is quite odd. The grass has been hacked by the summer tip footy comps and was quite lumpy. I ran from one footy goalpost to the other. Not that I could see a thing mind you. I ran at the moderate pace suggested and found that my hammies were quite sore even after 2 reps. Must spend more time stretching on the rest days. I finished the 10 reps quite quickly and managed a good sweatup. Mind you, I feel like somewhat of an imposter doing "speedwork" as none of my reps had any real speed about them. On the run home I felt odd that my Tuesday session was over so quickly. Much different to the usual bust-a-gut run into Sydney CBD and back.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Horrie stopped running and said ...
Friday, 04 February, 2005

Good to see you have committed to running SMH Half Gronk. As far as the program goes, that is just one program. Do you what you think is appropriate. I trained my wife to help her run her first Half in the Sydney Blackmores Half. She only trained four days a week, did not do any speedwork but we cranked the long run up each week by a km or 2 until she ran a tough 23km run a couple of weeks before we tapered off. It is important that you feel comfortable with the training you do. Just remember the important thing of listening to your body, don't overtrain and to enjoy the experience without putting extra pressure on yourself. Happy to offer you more advice if you are interested.    



Blogger Gronk stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 05 February, 2005

Thanks Beanibum. Horrie, will take you up on picking your brain from time to time.    



» Post a Comment