Sydney Striders - Olympic Park

10km | Race | 49:54

Well I said it would be hard work and boy was I right. In fact I can't remember ever feeling quite so stuffed after race.


I went out with the intention of trying to stay ahead of Brian the 50 minute pacer and did that for the first 5km, going through the halfway mark in 24:11. After going out of the carpark for the second time there is a hill which runs up alongside Acer Arena and that really took it out of me. By the time we got to the Wentworth Common I was goooooone. The 50 minute pack caught me at around the 8km marker and I bumbled my way home with them. The last 1km really hurt and I struggled with the demons in my head to finish with the pack.


It was a fun racing again and I really missed it. It's a shame that next month's Lane Cove Race is the last for the year. Whilst doing my first marathon this year was great and a huge personal achievement, I can't help but think that it came at a cost. You only have to see how many DNS's there are in my 2007 race calendar (right hand column) to see that I missed 7 Striders races (9 if you include The Equaliser and Internal 1/2M). What even hurts more is missing the C2S, again. Let's hope that 2008 will allow me to do more regular racing.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 06 October, 2007

Congrats Gronk - that is a great time given where you are in the recovery/re-building phase.

Continue to build slowly & carefully, listen to your body & 2008 will be a very different racing year!    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 06 October, 2007

Great to see you racing again mate. Be back to sub 45's in no time.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 11 October, 2007

Not bad, all things considered. At least you were on target for sub-48 :)

Marathons are great if you get them right. As long as you don't miss Nail Can next year!    



» Post a Comment