Need for Speed

7 x 400m | 5km pace

Uncle Hal has this silly idea that we should do speed work in a program. He's mentioned it before but frankly I have ignored it in the past in favour of an easy run (or if I was running without niggles, I'd swap it for a hill session). Not because I'm lazy ;-) but moreso speedwork in the past just hurt my bits and made me injured.


Anyway last night I decided that I'd give it a whirl. I ran a 1.5km warm up to North Randwick (Dangar Street) which is one of the few non-creepy flat stretches of road I could find.


McMillan said that a conservative 5km pace for 400m would be 1:50 so I tried to do that. The first was too fast, the second too slow - all over the place. Was I supposed to do a standing rest ? Who knows, I did anyway. Towards the end the gods were getting angry and there was lightning about with some distant thunder. I did the last rep in the pouring rain and headed for home. I got to about Moriah College in Queens Park when - HOLY CRAP ! - the biggest MFing thunder clap I have ever heard was right over my head. LOL I actually jumped into the air and let out a yelp. I then launched into Osafa Powell pace for the final few hundred metres to home !


My achilles is a bit tender this morning. Not sure if I will listen to Uncle Hal next Thursday.

« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger PortRunr stopped running and said ...
Friday, 12 October, 2007

You could harness that memory and use the thought of thunder and lightning as a motivational tool at the tail end of your races!?    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Friday, 12 October, 2007

Uncle Hal is trying to hurt you.

None of us are any good at listening to our bodies. Sounds like yours might be saying "don't run fast".    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Friday, 12 October, 2007

Maybe you should try more Mottram than Powell next time ;-)    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Friday, 12 October, 2007

So... it was a standing high jump PB?

Mmmm, I hate to disagree with Uncle Hal, but maybe leave the speedwork until you get the base in place - esp if the achilles is dodgy.    



» Post a Comment