Foot saga pt 4

I saw Doc Tom this morning and whilst he wants an x-ray and possibly an MRI, he thinks its a stress fracture of the second metatarsal. I'll get an x-ray in the morning and see him again on Thursday. I'm shattered. Thats crap news for me. After my solid 10km PB last week I was so looking forward to the C2S and Blackmores Half. Bugger. The cause ? Doc Tom reckons that whilst I was (correctly) sticking to the grass in all of my training from January to April this year because of shin splints, I didn't have an adequate base (on road) for the half marathon in May. So result of the constant pounding for 21kms around the city streets on bones that just weren't up to the task - crack ! I seems that the 10% rule just wasn't enough. Looks like I will need to take 6-8 weeks off and then start back in a walk/run routine until I can build my base up again. So looks like I'm a cross trainer for the next 2 months. Double bugger. Mood: ---> :(
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

Oh Gronk, I am so sorry to hear your news. My fingers are crossed for the MRI. I'm thinking of you...J    



Blogger CJ stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear the bad news. I guess it wasn't what you wanted to hear. I hope it gets better soon - cross training is better than nothing.    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

bad luck gronk, i was hoping for the best, stress fractures are annoying (i had one in my back and couldn't do anything above a walk for 6 weeks, no jogging to even beat the traffic lights!) but at least you can cross train...i was really looking forward to comparing how we went at the C2S/Half Marathon double - we'll just have to do it again next year!    



Blogger silverfox stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

Gronk

bad news mate, but be patient and let your body sort itself. Maybe we can become the new cheersquad for a while (but lets make it a temporary position only!) See you on the road when you are ready again fella.    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

Gronk. :( Fartypoobum is about all I can think to say. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Of course you would make a great temporary cheersquad member and I believe Johnny Dark is currently recruiting for the c2s squad.    



Blogger TA and the Gnome stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 July, 2005

Gronk, it's pretty hard to find anything positive about it, isn't it? Tiger angel calls this time of year "the accident zone" because it seems to be the traditional time that we injure ourselves. Maybe it's not just a Tiger/Gnome thing... :-(

sfG    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 13 July, 2005

Noooooooo. I'm really sorry to hear your news. Don't stop blogging though as you can tell us all about the cross training you are doing and before you know it 6 weeks will be over and you'll be back on the road.    



Blogger Horrie stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 13 July, 2005

Gronk, I am saddened by your news. It always seems to happen when people are running so well. Rest up, be kind to your body and I'm sure you will be back on the road in no time.    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 13 July, 2005

Sorry to hear about your bad news Gronk. Hope you come back stronger in the last quarter of the year. Keep doing the non running work and you won't lose too much. Even ask Action and Gnscon for advice as they both had a stress fracture last year.    



» Post a Comment