Blackmore's Half Marathon

21.1km | 1:55:12 | race Well that was a fun day. My second 1/2M after my debut at SMH and I would have to say that it was much harder this time around. I was shooting for a 1:55 finish and managed 1:55:12 (my watch) so I'm happy with that and the 5 minute PB. Caught up with Omni, Owl, Podrunner, Kev Tiller b4 hand and positioned myself at the back for the start. It took me a few mins to cross the start pads after the gun and then about 1km to catch up to Tuttle who was the 2:00 pacer. I ran the rest of the way with the aim of keeping Tuttle a safe distance behind me and ran a conservative first 10km with fellow CR (who's handle escapes me - nice guy from Neutral Bay. Sorry mate ! [Roll Eyes] ). Ran for a while with RunnerLynn as well. Spotted the course photographer Plu about then and a bunch of greyhounds (Supported CRs, Brightshoes, Action, Amjan, Bernie G) to name a few, who were coming back the other way. The climb up to the Victoria Road intersection was a toughie and it was from there that I think I started to slow up. Thankfully it was not far from home at that point and tried to draw on final reserves to get me through the Rocks. Saw BennyR somewhere around there, also Allrounder and then climbed the speedhump - OMFG - what a nightmare climb right at the end ! Saw lone cheersquader Lulu on the Cahill before a downhill stroll home. Felt good after the finish for about 15 mins, but then started to feel a bit dodgy. I ran the race with my own gatorade and grabbed some more afterwards with a Bacon & Egg roll. Not long after that a started to feel poorly and had to sit down on the Opera House steps for 20 mins or so . Then the stomach cramps started. From then I had diarrhea on and off for about 3 hours after the race. Don't know what caused it as my diet beforehand was nothing different from any other race. Pasta for two days before. Plenty of water. Fruit & yoghurt on the morning before the race. Found this and this but still can't work out the cause. Lets put it down to a bad end to a good day at the office ! By the time I had got home and showered, I has feeling OK. Very short illness. Very odd. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

hey Gronk, great run...i'm glad your foot was OK..that was me you passed going up the speedhump...    



Blogger Gronk stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

Allrounder ! How dumb was I. Sorry it didn't click who you were and I was waaay to wasted to even think to ask. Great run for you, well done. Gronk :)    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

Hey Gronk - great run mate! Sounds like the atmosphere was fantastic down there.

And don't be too worried about the stomach problems after the run. It has happened to me after a couple of particularly punishing tris/runs as well. I think its got a little to do with dehydration (even if you don't feel it) as well as pushing yourself hard.    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

After the preparation you had finishing that was a major achievement, let alone the PB - huge effort, well done.

At least the stomach problems happened afterwards - a little earlier could've been disaster!

Cheers,
Ben    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

Gronk, I wouldn't mind betting it was that bacon & egg roll that did the damage! Think about how much the stomach gets shaken around in a half marathon & then asking it to digest a bacon & egg roll!! If I was a stomach I'd rebel for sure! I know I can't eat anything immediately after such a run, but I drink a fair bit, later maybe a banana & about an hour later a light carbo meal. Nevertheless you did a great run & yes, I enjoyed it all, but agree it was a tough one!    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

Congratulations on a great run Gronk and a huge PB! Very happy to hear that you have recovered - it was a tough day at the office for a lot of people yesterday.

Well done !

J.    



Blogger TA and the Gnome stopped running and said ...
Monday, 12 September, 2005

Gronk, you overtook us at around the 10k mark when TA was starting to have to slow a bit. We followed you for ages and discussed "putting on a sprint and running with Gronk", but alas, 'twas not to be... Great time. Bad luck about the aftermath, but you're not alone! ;-)

sfG    



Blogger CJ stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 September, 2005

Great run after all you've been through injury-wise Gronk :) I can relate to what you went through afterwards - I suffered from a dodgy stomach after having lunch. It happens from time to time, generally after long distance events such as half and full marathons.    



Blogger silverfox stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 September, 2005

Gronk

well done mate, rest assured you werent the only one struglging on the hill. Nice photo also, you are looking sharp mate!    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 14 September, 2005

Gronk, what a course to run a PB on! You'd take 5 minutes off that at the Gold Coast. I must have passed you somewhere near Plu. It was all a bit of a blur at that stage with people to look out for on both sides of the road.
~ewen    



» Post a Comment