Another light run

4/5km | easy | no watch I managed a quick lap last night once the kids were fed, read and in bed. I am still getting pain in the shin when I walk about. On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is being mauled by a bear) at the moment its about a 3/10. Having said that the inflammation has subsided somewhat, so I guess its improving - albeit slowly. I massaged the shin with Deep Heat just before I stretched and headed out. As I ran I tried to concentrate on my stride and foot strike. I don't know if it made any noticeable difference really. The pain stayed with me for pretty much the whole run. I finished in no more pain than I started so I guess that's a plus. I don't know why this patch of shin splints have occurred. It could be over use and also tired shoes. What I do know from past experience is that I just have to work through it and allow the body to repair and adapt. Guru Larry had me running through the past injury rather than having time off. In time my body adapted to the problem and strengthened the damaged area with a web of new muscle. I just have to wait for the body to stengthen the weak area. I will run on Sunday on the grass at Queens/Centennial Park as the soft surface will do me good. I wish I could find a grassy stretch somewhere close to home that I can run on at night. I have tried Queens Park in the past however it was way too dark and I'm scared of turning my ankle - and the boogie men ! ;) This Sunday is 3 weeks till the CC 1/2M. Whilst I'm still keen to run, I am wary of the hard concrete pathway around the lake. 21km on concrete is quite unforgiving so I am unsure if I should run or not. Part of me says I should just pop a neurophen plus and run it anyway, the other half of me is a little more sensible. No rush as entry is on the day so I will leave my decision to run or not, right up to the last minute. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Wobbly man stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 12 November, 2005

A half on cement paths would be murder on sore shins - I suppose with fairly new shoes and a few Neorofen you could get away with it.. Have you tried the Neurofen gel? I find it helps a bit.    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 12 November, 2005

Hi Gronk,

This reminds me of the time before the Sydney 1/2. The reason for running "through" the injury is that you need to keep up some mileage to acheive the goal. AS LONG AS THE PAIN DOES NOT INCREASE!!!!. ANY INCREASE IN SYMPTOMS WILL REQUIRE A DECREASE IN LOAD.

If you felt reasonable on the sand then maybe it might be an idea to return. I spoke to Andy the Pod who suggested that your old shoes might have collapsed slightly so the transition to the new shoes is a good idea.

I will be away for the week... (taking the family to Noosa as payback for allowing me to train and race the 1/2 ironman).. but will be checking email and web occasionally.

take care and call if you have any problems

regards

Larry    



» Post a Comment