Playing in the sandpit.

5km | soft sand | 43:45 I headed down to Bondi last night for some more sand running. I had been neglecting the sand lately (I'm supposed to race in 9km of this stuff in June) and my shins were also a little sore. So a play in the big sandpit was the right thing to do. Lately I have been reading the Australian Mountain Running Association's Training Techniques on Downhill and Uphill Running. The use of the arms is a great factor in getting up and down those hills. Something that I haven't really concentrated on in the past. So last night I tried to use the arms more and that coupled with a higher knee action got me through the sand a little quicker. I will need to remember to practice this over the next few months. The only trouble is I get so buggered after about 30 mins thrashing about in the sand that I lose form and just plod. I guess that it all comes down to general fitness and core strength. My infected toe was well on its way yesterday and most of the inflammation had subsided. Trouble was last night that every 10m or so I would clip the top off a small mound of sand with the toe. After 5km of this it was pretty painful and this morning it's sore and tender again. Ouch. I'm seeing Podrunner tonight after work. Andy suggested this a few days ago by leaving a comment on my Blog. It's been on my mind to see him, so the timing was right. I think my orthotics are 12 months old in April and I still have shin splints, although admittedly in a much milder form right now. Maybe they might need adjustment or something. Anyway, seeing him can't hurt. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 01 March, 2006

Good idea to revisit the pod. It does seem a little strange that you're still suffering from shin splints after a year.    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 01 March, 2006

it's funny how some of these chronic injuries sort of become part of the furniture if you don't really keep on them. Hope Andy can help you out (tell his I haven't seen him over at transitions for a while!)    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 01 March, 2006

Good luck with the Pod Gronk - look forward to hearing the outcome.    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 01 March, 2006

The key to running in the sand if it is soft is to step in someone else's foot steps. More arm action is needed and strong ankles. See the Pod as I seem to recall talking to you at SMH last year.    



Blogger Wobbly man stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 01 March, 2006

That reminds me I must start doing some sand running! Good luck with the pod mate.    



» Post a Comment