A new plan

5km | moderate | 25:03 I ran last night on my newly certified 5km course. Certified by me and Mr Google Earth that is. Yeah probably not very accurate, but good enough for this fella anyway. I was pretty humid out there last night after all the afternoon rain, so it was pretty darn sweaty. My 5km course contains no flat bits. So I'm either going up or down. For some reason it felt like there was far more up than down last night, but thats probably my lazy bone talking. Next week I start a training program for the Sydney Morning Herald 1/2M in May. This all seems surreal to me as only a few weeks ago my shins were giving me so much grief that I thought I would never get to run freely. I can't honestly say what has turned things around apart from changing shoes. Lets just hope that I've seen the last of them. I was going to do a 10km program to try and go sub 45 this year, but all the programs I looked at contained at least 2 speed sessions a week. The load just looked too much for me. I know from experience and reading a few threads on CR that speedwork will probably be the worse thing for me right now. So a nice program which builds up my base to May is the way to go I reckon. I chose the Hal Hingdon intermediate 1/2M program over the Pat Carrol one on the Gold Coast Marathon site. Again, Pat seems to be right into the 1 & 2 km intervals and that's just not right for me now. Hal's 1/2M program seems to suit me best and introduces both a Wednesday and a Saturday easy run, which will be a first for me. One thing for sure is that I will take the first few weeks super easy as running on three consecutive days midweek and Saturday and Sunday is a big load for an old man like me. I might even reduce some early sessions or drop a day early on to help with the transition. A link for my new training calendar is in the right hand column ---> If I get through May OK, my goal is to start a Novice Marathon program. No, I'm not planning anything stupid, but would dearly like to try the Mt Wilson to Bilpin race at the end of August. I know its a 4 plus hour run but would like to give it a go anyway. If I can't do it in 2006, thats OK - maybe 2007 then. At the very least I will be doing some longer training runs of over 25km, so it will do me good. One thing for sure I am drawn towards races like Woodford to Glenbrook, Sutherland 1/2M, W2B, Fitzroy Falls Marathon, Bush Capital Marathon etc rather than a road races. I think that Nail Can Hill and the Equaliser last week has converted me to trail running. :eek!: Funny, running that Western Sydney Marathon on a concrete bike path along the M7 freeway does nothing for me right now. In other news my weight has dropped below 81kg this week for the first time. It was 80.9kg this morning. This time last year I was 86kg. I'm still carrying too much blubber and have another 3/4kg to lose, but I'm getting there - very, very slowly. I think I might start blogging my weight once a week and see if that can motivate me into extracting the digit. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Friday, 17 February, 2006

You didn't look so old as you pulled away from me in the CC Half!

You may be able to have your cake and eat it too Gronk - a 10k PB is a real possibility in W2G - the last 10k is all easy downhill and you fly - of course you never tell anyone that it was downhill......    



Blogger CJ stopped running and said ...
Friday, 17 February, 2006

I assume when you mentioned that you are hoping that you've seen the last of them, that you were talking about the pain rather than your shins - would look mighty funny!

I had a look at your proposed 2006 races and I can see quite a few that I would like to do. I can thoroughly recommend the Bush Capital 25km - I did it last year and enjoyed it.    



Blogger Don Juan stopped running and said ...
Friday, 17 February, 2006

Willy to billy is up there with 6 foot as a great bush run.

Good idea to build slowly for the smh 1/2, ease into the program and enjoy it.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 19 February, 2006

Yes, bush runs are the go. No time to think about shins - just hills, rocks, logs, creeks, cows, snakes and falling down.

If you do decide to try speedwork in the future, a very gradual progression over many weeks will help. Start with as little as 3x200 metres at 3k race pace.    



» Post a Comment