Sydney Striders Equaliser

14km | trail race | 85:37 I approached today's race with a fair bit of caution. Firstly that I've not run anything much over 10kms since the 1/2M in December, secondly that I have only done one trail race before, the 11.3km Nail Can Hill in Albury and lastly that this race came with a reputation as being tough. My objective was to run this race carefully and not to walk any part. I am very happy to report that whilst many walked the steep hills - I ran every one. My pre-race routine was unchanged. I dropped my Thursday run for a spin session and this morning had a shot of Red Bull (yes it gives me wings). I ran with new Strider Ken (Lastish on CR) for most of the way. Ken is a 6/12 Foot & Trailwalker survivor and it was great to chat about his experiences over the years. The trail was rather uneven and I was very conservative on the steep downhills compared to many. I am definitely more comfortable going up rather than going down these trails. Still, I managed to keep a good steady pace for the entire race and for that I was satisfied. The race (as I blogged 2 posts ago) goes up a hill, down into a gorge, up the other side. A bit of road, then into another gorge (maybe the same one ?), up the other side and finishes back at the start. Unfortunately my GPS dropped out at 4kms so I was pretty much in the dark as to where we were at. Lucky I had the experienced Ken with me as his guestimates were pretty spot on. Happy to report that the shins are OK apart from a little niggle on the right. So just a 1/5 on the Wobbly Man Shin Pain Scale™™ today. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 12 February, 2006

Great running Gronk! Yeah you for running up all the hills... feels nice to pass the walkers :-)    



Blogger Don Juan stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 12 February, 2006

Good work out on those hills. Good news on the shins.    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 12 February, 2006

Good on you Gronk - you will be signing up for Six Foot next ;-)    



Blogger Horrie stopped running and said ...
Monday, 13 February, 2006

Well done on your good run at The Equaliser Gronk. I can see it now. Gronk to go sub 4 in the "Cities Marathon" and will enter 6 Foot in 2007. I'm also glad that the shins are behaving themselves.    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Monday, 13 February, 2006

Sounds like you had a good day out there Gronk. I'm glad to hear the shins are behaving!    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 13 February, 2006

Even though it was the 80s, I remember that one well as a very tough course. You did well Gronk! Especially running all the hills.

I need a Wobbly Man Heel Pain Scale™™.    



» Post a Comment