Sydney Striders 10km - North Head

10km | Race | 42:56 PB I was collected in the Blkbox mobile bright and early and we headed out to Manly for our first Striders North Head run. I took a couple of voltaren rapids for the pesky calf early on and lined up this morning without any real expectations. I said to Will (who was marshaling today) that I would just shoot out for a few Kms and see how I feel. That's probably not a very sound race tactic, but I was secretly concerned about doing damage to my calf, seeing that I have three important 1/2 Marathons coming up in the next 3 months. At the gun I took off chasing the 45m pacer and aimed to get ahead of him by the 1km mark, surge in the second km so that I could settle into an even pace by 3 or 4km and try and hold on. The pesky calf spoke to me a few times up to 4km mark but seemed to settle down slowly once it got warm. So I decided I could got for it. At the 5km mark the lungs were burning and the legs tired. So I latched on to a bunch of fitter-younger-stronger Striders ahead of me and relied on them to pull me home. Many thanks to Strider Paul if your out there. It was his encouragement that got me to about the 9km mark. Anyway from what I saw my splits are as follows: 04:14 01km 04:11 02km 04:12 03km 04:13 04km 04:22 05km 21:11 04:23 06km 04:25 07km 04:19 08km 04:28 09km 04:08 10km 42:56 From my Lane Cove run last month which gave me a 44:04 PB, the minute better time today I guess is about right, seeing I wasn't climbing up any hills like Scribbly. Looking at my splits, it looks like I went out too hard again *rolls eyes*. So with a bit more training (and maybe start some intervals after the Sydney half) I can see the potential of even better results in the future. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Ellie80 stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 02 September, 2006

yay!!! you looked comfortable the whole way gronk - i saw you chatting away to a few people - i reckon you've got more in you for sure!!!!    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 02 September, 2006

Congratulations on the massive PB. I'm predicting you get the sub 40 before Professor. Is that big? Bring on Sydney half now mate. I must get a lift in the blkbox chopper next time, judging from the photo on the post.    



Blogger the_en4cer stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 03 September, 2006

Well done and congrats on a great PB. Sub 40 not far off now!    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 03 September, 2006

Congrats on a great PB Gronk. Your first 5k looks good to me - nice even splits. I reckon a 42-low is on the cards next month. Well done.    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 03 September, 2006

Congrats on a great PB Gronk. Hope the pesky calf doesn't give you any serious grief.    



Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Monday, 04 September, 2006

Awesome effort Gronk!!! So nice to see you out there :-)    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 05 September, 2006

great PB...what is your secret?!?    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 05 September, 2006

Wow, you've done it again!!!! Congrats Gronk.

Its great to see your times keep on tumbling.    



Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 05 September, 2006

Hahaha I wish I could race like you!!!!    



» Post a Comment