Canberra or bust

I received an email yesterday from my life long friend in Albury, CoolRunner Ripley. I've known Ripley since I was 7 or 8. We went through Primary and High School together. Ripley is one of those friends that will be sitting on my porch when I'm 70 sharing a beer with me talking about old times. Ripley has asked me to run Canberra Marathon with him next year. He is looking for a new challenge for 2007 after running a few half marathons this year and last. My initial reaction was not concern about the distance, but ending up with some nasty injury because of the increased mileage or from the actual run itself. I'm probably just being paranoid and will get to the bottom of my niggles by years end - I hope. So putting those injury concerns aside, I couldn't think of a better way of making my marathon debut but next to great mate making his maiden run as well. So that's it. I'm going to Canberra next April. Ripley runs a 1/2M in just under 2 hours so I figure that we'll be in somewhere around 4 to 4 1/2 hour shape come April. Ripley reckons that he will be packing cab fare next to his gel in case of an emergency, but we wont need that. I will drag him through as he will me. Whatever happens we will finish together. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

Fantastic goal mate - and there's nothing like a shared goal to get you out the door and on the road for those loooong miles ahead.

Best of luck mate - I personally reckon Canberra is one of the best places to race (tris included) in Oz. Perfect for the big one :)

(oh, and best of luck with the Striders Half this weekend!)    



Blogger Bernie G stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

Canberra Marathon is a great goal. Good luck in the Striders Internal Half, I'll be absent this year (Bulls Head Challenge).    



Blogger Ellie80 stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

good news gronk - although it seems it was not so long ago that you were swearing off the marathon... ? good luck and might see you on sunday!    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

Great to see you are going to do the marathon at Canberra. I think 30% of runners every year are on debut so you will have plenty of company.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

I've heard the 4 hour bus is a good one. Underdo the training is my tip (i.e. get to the line). Running easily for time on long runs will do. I'll be cheering you both on!    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 18 October, 2006

Sensational Gronk. So pleased to hear about your new goal. Hopefully we can both sort out our niggles before the head of the year so we'll be flying in Canberra (in our respective events!)    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 19 October, 2006

Wooohooo Gronk - I knew it would only be a matter of time before you had a crack at the big M - have you running ultra's next ;-)    



» Post a Comment