Injury update.

I saw Larry the Physio yesterday regarding the pesky calf. Larry is the sort of practitioner who just won't just give my calf a rub and send me on my way. As he says, anyone can do that. He prefers to find out why the calf injury occurred in the first place then treat the cause. Otherwise I will more than likely be chasing my tail with injuries infinitum. After taking some pics of me from various angles and popping them into a trendy software program, Larry determined that the cause of my calf injury was the position of my hips and spine. Basically my hips are tilted upwards (or was that downwards?) and my spine has a slight twist to the right. So they need realignment. Larry uses the Egoscue Method and has provided me with a whole bunch of exercises designed to reposition my hips and spine. Currently my running posture has me favouring my right hand side it seems. So nightly I will be doing exercises like the Standing Windmill, Standing Arm Circles, Airbench, Downward Dog amongst others. <--- I challenge anyone to do the Airbench for 2 minutes. Damn hard work if you ask me ! As for the pesky calf. Larry worked on breaking down the scar tissue and said that with continued self massage and ice, it will be fine in a few days. Running will be my call depending on how I feel over the next day or two. I might just continue to spin into the weekend and give it a test on the grass maybe on Sunday. Frankly I'm in no hurry and sort of enjoying a little holiday from running. Hopefully the spinning will stop me from putting on weight ! Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 26 October, 2006

Good on Larry - I'm a subscriber to the theory that a lot of injuries are due to mechanical issues rather than overuse.

Just make sure you don't spin out of control ;-)    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 26 October, 2006

It appears you're in the mood for spinning.

I'm sure a wheel alignment from Larry will have you motoring again. You can pass on 2p's mantra - the 'every second day running' schedule seems to be working for me.    



Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 26 October, 2006

Ooooh I min 45 was the best I could manage and I thought my quads were on fire!!!!
Glad your on the right track :-)    



Blogger Becky O stopped running and said ...
Friday, 27 October, 2006

Hope the calf mends well. I'm sure a weekend filled with lots of stretching, icing, and resting should do the trick.

I am not even game enough to try that exercise the way my quads feel at the moment :)    



» Post a Comment