Canberra Marathon Program

Here is my marathon schedule for the next few months. I'm just using the Hal Higdon "novice" program that so many virgin runners seem to use. I've seen many others but they involve one or two night speed work which I don't think my old legs would put up with quite frankly. On the weeks that appear to be recovery (ie, those which the Saturday LSD drops in mileage) I intend to run on grass or trail all week - starting this week. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Monday, 11 December, 2006

Looks great Gronkman - although I haven't caught up with the rest of your blog for a while!

Near raceday, you'll need to get your legs used to hard surfaces sorry to say. I found Canberra M hard on the legs even with this.

The big black space is to do with the table - can be fixed, but is very fiddly.

Those legs aren't old - they're strong!    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 December, 2006

Interesting Gronk. Obviously Hal knows infinitely more than me, but I'm surprised by the 3 rest days nearly every week - and also their placement. 3 days rest a week - but still 3 days in a row of running sounds odd to me. I would have expected perhaps 4-5 days a week running and no more than 2 days of running in a row?

The totals seem low for the first 8-9 weeks also. I would have thought that scheduling one of the rest days in the middle of the week would have allowed you to fit in a mid-week long run of say 15-20k earlier in the program?

Best of luck with it all!    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 December, 2006

Sounds like a good plan for the novice. 32k as the longest run seems a bit short to me. I'd prefer going out to maybe 35-36k. Because who wants to be 10ks from home with all that left.    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 December, 2006

Good plan Gronk - you seem to have a bit of a natural turn of speed without doing too much speedwork.

Good to see Quarry Rd in there - it is really the only essential ingredient to a successful marathon campaign ;-)    



Blogger Becky O stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 12 December, 2006

I used the Hal Higdon novice program myself for Canberra this year. I read his book on Marathons and thought it was great.

Not doing speed work for your first marathon is a smart idea as your body will need to recover during the week from the increase in long run mileage.

How exciting, the journey has started....    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 14 December, 2006

OK, I'll try anonymous, as beta is buggered for me again :(

Looks like a good plan, although I'd add 3-5km to the Wednesday runs. Also, 35-6 as the longest would be better.

With achilles - make sure nothing is rubbing it with your shoes/socks - also with work shoes.    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 14 December, 2006

Sorry, that was from me (Ewen)!    



» Post a Comment