Bondi Barefoot 2007


10km | soft sand | Race | 68:08

I won't hide the fact that I was shitting myself this morning. Not knowing if the task was beyond me I guess. Still I did run 7.5km last weekend so it was just a mental hurdle that needed to be overcome.


I headed down to North Bondi Surf Club and signed on bright and early and collected my race singlet, got chipped and race number drawn on my arm (always wanted one of those).


I chatted to a heap of runners including a Cool lurker who was training for some 500km race in the deserts of China. 50kms per day for 10 days I think. Sheesh !


We gathered at the start shortly before 9.00am and got our race instructions. Soon the whistle (surf life saving thing) went off and we were running. The pack pulled me along at about 5:40/km pace and soon I was dry in the mouth and gasping for air. I could only sustain that sort of pace for 3 laps and slowly dropped of to a reduced pace of about 7:00/km. That was the pace I train at and I knew that I could last the distance without to much dramas.


At the halfway mark I was feeling pretty crap for going out too hard and being a hero and it took a few doses of sports drink to regain my composure.


I got a cheer from CRs Blkbox & Beki at about the 7km mark and I mumbled something like it was only 3 laps to go. Those 3 laps seemed to take forever and all I could do was plod at the same pace and be strong in the mind as it would be all wrapped up in 20 mins. Thanks for the support guys !


I finished in a wobbly 68:08 (exactly 30 mins behind the winner Jeremy Horne LOL) but all in all had a fun morning. I will be backing up in 2008 for sure and might look at the Manly Soft Sand Classic in June or July.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 29 April, 2007

Sorry I missed it this morning. Rolled my ankle a few times yesterday doing a x-c 10k at Ramsgate. Didn't want to risk anymore damage on the sand. Good run on the sand nonetheless.    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 29 April, 2007

Well done Gronk. The thought of running 10km on sand feels me with dread! One of my old work mates is training for that crazy race in China. Sounds like torture to me.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 29 April, 2007

You're crazy. I'd hate to have your calves tomorrow.

Your pace was pretty good. I'm running not much quicker than that on hard dirt. Jeremy's 38:08 is amazing.    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 29 April, 2007

At the finish line did you have to dive into the sand and grab a flag :-)    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Monday, 30 April, 2007

Nice work Gronk - but no danger of me coming to play in your sandpit - with my square feet I just sink.    



Blogger Simlin stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 01 May, 2007

Sand running is definately only for super fit athletes like you.    



Blogger R2B stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 02 May, 2007

Nice work!
I am glad you didn't give up as it would have been easy to do!

As to your comment about consistent training i was only thinking the same thing myself 20 mins ago!!

Happy trails R2B    



» Post a Comment