SMH Half Marathon 2007


I set out today to get through this race without any dramas, seeing that I've got this quad (or is it ITB?) thing at the moment. Mission accomplished I guess. I managed a 1:42:xx which is a few minutes slower than last year.


I met Blkbox & Beki at Bondi Junction Station at some ungodly hour and we made our way down to the start area and checked our bags. I then had the pleasure of meeting a whole bunch of new CoolRunners before the start. Great stuff.


I slinked my way up to the start and was soon under way. I got through the first 10km in 46:xx and was feeling pretty schmick. Popped a gel and was drinking sensibly. I guess it was at about the 12km mark that I hit the wall. I could not believe the amount of runners that passed me as we ran up Pitt & Hunter Streets for the second time and into the Domain. My paced slowed, my heart rate increased and I could really feel my quad and tightness into my hip.


So after that horror 5kms I was able to amble down the hill back down to the Quay and claw back some of that lost time. By the time I got to the top of Argyle Street at the 18km banner I was feeling almost human again. Don't know why. CR Rags came up from behind and I tried to hold on to him until the finish line as best I could. In the last 100m CR Johnny Dark appeared out of thin air and we all finished together in a sprint to the line.


I will spend this week trying to tenderize my ITB & quad with the rolling pin and will start next Saturday on a decent hilly LSD program. Gotta get some speed & endurance in the back end of my race if I'm going to conquer the C2S in August.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 20 May, 2007

Hope it isn't too serious mate. I'd put in some hill reps again for C2S. Birriga Rd Bellevue Hill from the Royal Sydney corner up. 1.1k.    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 20 May, 2007

Ah, so the Flake has *finally* revealed his sekrit hill rep location!

Take it easy with the ITB - mine hasn't been acquainted with the rolling pin for about a month. About time I reintroduced them!    



Blogger Ellie80 stopped running and said ...
Monday, 21 May, 2007

nice run gronk under difficult circumstances. I hope that the ITB comes good very soon!    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Monday, 21 May, 2007

good work gronk...fancy running that time and not being 100% (i wish)...

that's for the comment on my blog, i figured i may as well make myself useful at the GC seeing as i'd booked a flight there in anticipation of running!

i really enjoy helping out at events...had good fun at the Canberra Half weekend not long ago...    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Monday, 21 May, 2007

argh, that should be "thanks" for the comment on my blog...    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Monday, 21 May, 2007

Well done Gronk - considering the dodgy ITB/quad a pretty sound result I reckon - noice.    



Blogger plu stopped running and said ...
Monday, 21 May, 2007

Well done Marty. Have a good rest. Cheers Plu    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 22 May, 2007

Gee, that's a great time considering the circumstances. Well done.

I thing the secret with the ITB is to just keep rolling every day, whether the thing bothers you or not. It seems to have helped me.    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 22 May, 2007

Gronk

Good run on Sunday. I hope the ITB doesn't cause you any major grief.

I can vaguely remember some yelling towards the end of my race, but I was not feeling that good, so sorry if I ignored you.

My legs feel OK after the run and ankle is surprisingly good. No "John Wayne's" around here.

Cheers

Pipe    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 23 May, 2007

That's a fine time running on one leg Gronk. Keep working on it and you'll have a good C2S.

Love that photo!    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 23 May, 2007

YOu are an inspiration how you keep going despite the niggles. I need to take a leaf out of your book and not let them get me down.

I gave you a cheer from the sidelines on Sunday and you looked pretty comfortable.    



Blogger Will the Frenchman stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 24 May, 2007

Nice effort Gronk!

Hope to see you soon.    



Blogger MorseyRuns stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 24 May, 2007

Congratulations - especially considering the mysterious ITB/quad thing. Perhaps you should get it looked at by a medical professional instead of assaulting yourself with kitchen utensils????    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 24 May, 2007

One and a half good legs is plenty, Gronk! Only 'lucky' people have 2 good legs!    



» Post a Comment