Hill reps etc ...

I haven't done any hill reps since my metatarsal (sp?) injury after the SHM half in May. So seeing that I'm feeling OK these days I decided that it was time to ramp it up a bit. Hill sessions seem to work good for me as they are lower impact compared to intervals and speed sessions. Rather than doing my usual overkill with this sort of thing and ending up sore or injured, I consciously took it easy. I ran a 3km warm up around Bondi Junction/ Woollahra, then did 5 x reps on Ruthven Street (which is about 300m long at about 30 degrees). I then ran the return 3km on my way home. All up it was about an hour on my feet. Next Thursday I plan to do 10 reps and maintain the 3km warm up and down. I'm thinking that my left foot/leg feels way too weak. I noticed when running that last 10km or so of the Striders half that my right leg was doing all the digging and the left was just enjoying the ride. Whilst I'm sure it is normal that one leg is stronger than the other, I'm feeling that its becoming an imbalance and that it may cause me an injury in the future. To be frank whilst I'm over the foot injury from May - which was fixed with the cortisone injection - I've never really dealt with the cause of the injury. I recall that my Sports Physician Doc Tom said at the time that there is a mechanical problem which has resulted in the bones of my foot taking too much weight and that most of the impact should be absorbed by the muscles in the lower leg rather than the bones. Last night before I ran I massaged the muscle on the outside of my shin which I think is called the tibialis anterior (cool webpage on leg muscles). I also did the rolling pin thang on my ITB. It felt much better when running but the weakness on my left side was still apparent. To test this weakness theory, I stood on my toes leaning on the outside of my forefoot on my right leg and it could support my body weight no probs. Doing the same thing on my left leg - it almost collapsed. Not good. I will ask Mr Google for some strengthening exercises or maybe go and see Larry the Physio next week for some advice. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Friday, 21 October, 2005

Sounds like a good plan to do some strengthening. I'm definitely stronger on one side than the other. I know that my glute and VMO on my right legs are weaker than the left for example. I've found Pilates good for balancing me up a bit plus some specifics.

Be careful on Ruthven St.. there's a strange lady in a 4WD who did a U turn in front of me the other day, causing me to ram her in the driver's door.. she lives near the top of the hill..avoid at all costs the 4WD with the big dent in the driver's door :)    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Friday, 21 October, 2005

Gronk you should try my favourite killer hill rep. Old south head rd between Curlewis st and victoria rd.
It's a double hill so you get about a 200m breather in the middle.
I run past Ruthven st sometimes never looked to see how steep it was.    



Blogger Gronk stopped running and said ...
Friday, 21 October, 2005

LL. Thanks for the headsup on crazy 4wd lady !

SF. I'm sure that Ruthven is just a speedhump compared to Bellevue Hill !    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Friday, 21 October, 2005

good solid session gronk - hope Larry can help you out there.

Oh, and I'll make sure to say hi if I bump into him at the Half IM this weekend!!    



Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 23 October, 2005

Yay for Larry (with a special mention for every-body's friend Mr Google)!

Good idea getting the muscle imbalance sorted out. Sounds like a tough session, just don't do too too much too soon and get injured again, please!    



» Post a Comment