Sunday Run

17km | Easy | 1:45 (approx) I decided to step up the mileage on Sundays and aimed to run 20km. After a hot morning down at Bronte Nippers I didn't get to pull the shoes on until about 11.30am. By that time the day had turned into a real stinker. Rather than run over towards the beaches, I decided to avoid the crowds and run the Centennial/Queens Park loop. I ran with a bottle in my hip holster and drank the entire 600ml by about 7km. I was feeling OK apart from the weak left leg dramas. As I was out of water I was on the lookout for a tap/bubbler for a re-fill. I eventually found a bubbler in the kids playground in Queens Park at about the 10km mark. From there I took a gel (PB brand bought at Coles). I've never had a gel before and when I ran with elder statesman & Strider Charles at the Internal 1/2 he said that he always takes a gel in a 1/2 at the start and at 10km. Same goes for a full M only every 10km. Anyways I took the gel, yuck - it tasted like icky sweet flour + water, and washed it down. Did it pep me up ? Um, maybe ? I'm thinking that I will have one halfway through my next Sunday runs or two just to get used to it. Whilst it probably won't do much for you when your running LSD pace, I reckon it would help when racing. I finished my second loop at about 15km and was way too hot to even contemplate another 7km lap. So I ran the small lap of Queens Park and headed home from there. What idiot runs in the middle of the day ? After lunch I took Gronk jnr down to Maroubra Beach for a swim, which felt good on tired legs. Even though I drank water all afternoon, I woke up this morning feeling like I'd been on the red all night. Very dehydrated. Note to self: drink more water everyday. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Monday, 24 October, 2005

It was an absolute stinker yesterday so you did well to the the long run at that time of day.. I haven't tried the gels yet but was thinking of doing so on my long runs.. think I'll stay clear of that brand though :)    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 25 October, 2005

I always take a gel with me on Sunday long runs just in case I need it, but never use it unless I really need it & longer than 2.5hours on the road; whatever works, Gronk! I thought Sunday was hot here in Mittagong, but sounds like Sydney was worse... summer is just waiting for us!    



Blogger CJ stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 25 October, 2005

I agree - PB gels are yucko! I have GU gels - vanilla, orange or chocolate.    



» Post a Comment