Decision time.

7km | grass | walked home SUNDAY RUN I woke up early on Sunday morning totally unmotivated. Still, it wasn't the first time I've felt like that was so I just hauled my arse out onto the road - as you do. I have been stretching and icing and all the other "right" things since Thursday and continued the walk warmup then stretch routine before I started my run. I ran the outside fence of Centennial Park and moved to the inside fence to avoid the path on Darley Road. My shins felt crap. Sore and inflamed. By the time I had gone about 5km (at about the Cafe in the middle of the park) - I'd had enough. I just couldn't see the point of running in pain. So I walked home. WHY IS THIS HAPPENING ? So lets try and analyze what has happened here. After the Striders Internal 1/2M in October, I pulled up sore and went and saw Larry the Physio. This was primarily because I had developed shin splints all over again since coming back from that Metatarsal injury in July. Larry recommended that I flick all hardish surfaces and run on sand only until my shins recover. So for the first 3 weeks of November I ran on nothing but sand. By that time my shins were feeling OK. Leading up to the Central Coast 1/2M I made a few runs on grass and built up towards the December 4 race, but they were feeling progressively worse. I recall blogging at the time that I was unsure if I was able to run as the shins would flare up as soon as I put my shoes on again. I got through the 1/2M because of anti-inflammatories, ice and refraining from running in the days leading up to the race. After the half it was obvious that I needed to go back into rehab and returned to the sand. I ran the remainder of December and the first week of December on sand only. By 8 January I was feeling confident enough for a light 5km run on the grass. After that run I alternated between sand and grass and never ran more than 7km on grass. Now at the end of week 3 of January my shins feel the same as they were at the worst point of last year. It is clear that I can run barefoot on the sand and feel zero shin pain. The problems recur when I put my shoes on and run on a harder surface. I can only conclude that my problems are caused by coming back too quick and not respecting the 10% rule OR that my problems are caused by my shoes/orthotics. OK, I admit that after running on the sand for so long and feeling so good that I may had launched into running on the grass with a tad too much enthusiasm. But in my defense, I assumed that a first run on grass of 20 mins, followed by a sand run two days later, then 30 mins on grass a few days after that was a conservative approach. No I didn't follow the 10% rule, so perhaps that was my downfall. Orthotics ? Many runners have questioned the benefits of orthotics. A guy I met down at Bronte Beach yesterday during nippers raised the topic again. He's a 20+ marathon runner and introduced himself after seeing my R4YL cap. We chatted about the mag and running whilst watching our kids do their sand and swimming races. After I explained my shin splint history he asked me "how do you know that the cause of your shins back in January last year wasn't just an over-use thing and that you may have needed to just slow down and let your body grow?". He said that I should try and run without the orthotics for a few weeks to test the theory. He's not the first person to say that. Hmmm. WHAT NEXT ? I think I will run the Oz Day 8km on Thursday notwithstanding my present state (after all I've paid for it). I will be able to run it OK as I know how to prepare for a race whilst injured these days. Ice, pills and cross training all this week will get me through Thursday OK. Following that I guess that I will return to the sand for a week or so until all symptoms of shin splints have subsided. Then I will start the Pfitzinger Return from Injury Program. This will simply mimic Superflake's routine for the past months. If during this time my shins flair up, then I will return to Andy the Pod to make sure that the orthotics are correctly designed and fitted. I don't think that I will cast the orthotics aside and run without them. I'm prepared to give the health professionals the benefit of the doubt - for the time being that is ! Failing that and after having these bloody things for 12 months now, I will give up and just play golf. Mood: ---> What are you lookin' at !
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

I don't know what to say Gronk other than I hope you find a solution soon. I'd hate to lose you to the game of golf - except of course if I have to take it up too :-)    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

I really don't know Gronk - I would probably agree with you in saying that you didn't do anything wrong in the comeback to grass.

I honestly don't know about orthotics. I've been told to wear orthotics by various guys (physois, chiros, pods) and told not to by others. It's never going to be an exact science - and I think all you can really do is experiment until things click again

not much help I know :(    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

The orthotics thing is so individual. I love mine, I'd superglue them to me feet if I could.

I didn't realise why you were doing all the sand running, I thought is was to make you tough - and it probably has!    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

Oh, I meant to say 'my feet'.    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

Gronk,

I checked. There is no www.coolgolf.com.au

I know it's easy for me to say, I've never had such a shitty run with injuries, but you won't get your serious endorphin hits from golf. We'd hate to lose you mate, hang in there!

Cheers,    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

No pearls of wisdom from here either I'm sorry Gronk.

I do however believe that as long as none of the parts are broken or worn beyond repair that the body is a self maximising machine when it is tuned right - you just need a good mechanic and a good preventative maintenance schedule!

Stick with it mate, the answers for you are out there somewhere :-)    



Blogger Don Juan stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

I'd try something new you haven't tried like new runners, nike frees, no orthotics, new orthotics, strengthening and flexibility exercises for everything that affects the shins, and lose weight.
I never said I was diplomatic.    



Blogger Wobbly man stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 January, 2006

Here is one for you Gronk (Ha! me offering advice?) A myotherapist recently suggested taking a magnesium supplement. Theory being that most veges we eat are grown in magnesium poor soils. Magnesium is supposed to be good for tissue repair or something . Oh and I am taking a fish oil supplement too for the same reason. Mine are still sore but are manageable despite upping my mileage significantly. Ibuprofen, ice, occassional massage and the supplements are getting me through so far. Good luck mate!    



Blogger Mike Power stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 24 January, 2006

Gronk, I would tend to agree with Miner. I have been asked to use orthodics, but always got worse when using them. Maybe I never gave them time to 'mold' but then should I need to? Anyway I hope that you injuries heal up sooner than later and that will no doubt boost your running mood. Keep the chin up mate and enjoy the sport, dont let it rule your life.    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 24 January, 2006

aw, golf's not so bad! maybe it's a combination of things rather than one thing...all i can say is take it easy, you've got the rest of your life to run (and play golf!)...    



» Post a Comment