Dude, where's my speed ?

I ran yesterday afternoon in Centennial Park. I included the outside fence run of Queens Park so that the one lap would be 7kms all up. I was feeling pretty fresh and took off at a decent clip. By about 4kms I was hurting pretty bad and continued the same pace until 5kms - then blew up. Sheesh, I was standing there with my hands on hips sucking in the big ones like a 50-a-day smoker. I did the first 5km in 23:15 and just ambled home from there totally pooped. I obvioulsy went too hard and am lucky that I didn't pull up sore. Silly bugger. Looking at my running spreadsheet for 2005, my last 10km race was July Striders and I was injured on and off from there. Its amazing that from July I only did three races and all three were over 21kms. As my race calendar has every race until May as mostly 10k, I'm going to have to get a wriggle on and get my speed back. Only thing is - how ? I might download a Hal Hingdon 10km program and go from there .... Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 05 January, 2006

5x1k reps 15 seconds per k under the speed you are after. If a 50min 10k is the goal then do 5x1k at 4:45 with 2min recovery between each set. Should work.    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 05 January, 2006

Yikes, that's a tough - but good - session for 'Flakey there. Look forward to reading about it :-)    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 05 January, 2006

I'd definitely recommend the Higdon 10K program as a base. I used it as a base for getting a bit of speed up, and took 7 minutes off my 10K time at the start of last year.

But I'll get in here before Plu does - be careful about injuries with the speedwork.

Cheers,
Ben    



Blogger Wobbly man stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 05 January, 2006

I have three suggestions to get your speedwork - speedwork, speedwork and speedwork! Just don't go too hard and aggravate those evil shins of yours!    



Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 05 January, 2006

Do some speed work on the grass at McKay oval at the park. Keep an active recovery... that helps with my endurance. Sean gets us doing 400's, 600's and 800's- alternates weekly. It has been helping me.... still slow though :-) Sean does his track session on a tuesday morning at 6:30 at Mckay oval if your interested. It is fun and he works you hard... the grass is nice on the legs too.    



» Post a Comment