Martin Place

Week 9 of 18 11km | Easy The dreaded midweek long run devised by the evil Uncle Hal had me running 11kms last night. Up 1km from last week. In my bid to avoid a hilly route (hills seems to aggravate the ribs), I headed into the city and back. I'm beginning to hate Wednesdays. After 12 hours driving a desk, eating dinner then reading stories to the kids etc - running an hour plus at 8.30/9.00pm shits me to tears. Still, I used it to my advantage last night and reminded myself that I will no doubt be feeling the same heavy legs 35kms into Canberra. I guess it's my way of turning a negative into a positive. Whilst it's a relatively flat run into the city, it does take it's toll on the legs as the granite type paving which has been laid from Woollahra all the way into and around the City is very very hard. So much so that I had to stop and stretch a few bits on the way back at Taylor Square. On the ribs front, I think I tore (re-tore) some of it as I had a terrible nights sleep and was turning in bed like a 100 year old man. I couldn't sit up to get out of bed this morning without sharp pain, so I had to roll out onto the floor LOL. I popped a few voltarens after breakie and I'm feeling OK now. I get the feeling that this rib thing will be around for another good month, with both good days and bad. Hopefully it will be all healed by April though ! I also used last night as a test drive for my Camelback which I will need soon now that my longruns will be edging over the 25km mark . I've had one for over 2 years and never used it. I bought it on sale at Clarence Street Cycles for a stupidly cheap price as an impulse buy. It's not a Camelback really. Rather it's a Trek brand which no doubt is a Daewoo in Hydration Backpack Land. I rinsed it first after sterilising with Milton tabs (I picked that tip up from a CR thread) and then filled it will cool water from the fridge. It felt comfortable except for the confounded sloshing noise, which drove me batty ! Also the mouthpiece hurt the roof of my mouth a bit whenever I would take a drink. I guess you get used to all that after a while. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 08 February, 2007

Good to see that you got through it all Gronkman. Take care of those ribs - and good luck with the Camelback testing.    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 08 February, 2007

One way to stop the sloshing noise from the Camelbak annoying you is to wear an mp3 player and have it turned up LOUD :-)    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 08 February, 2007

Whilst Tesso's method will work too there is another way.

Make sure you squeeze out all of the air in the camelbak - the way you do this is to hold the bladder upsidedown, hold the bite tube open and squish the bladder to purge it of air - once water starts to flow you should be done - hey presto - sloshing sound almost completely disappears.

Good on you for sticking to the plan - I'm not sure I'd have the discipline (or the sobriety) to get out at 9:00PM ;-)    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 08 February, 2007

Good tip from 2P - must remember that one. I also remember the Milton one from CR - works well with the fuel belt bottles.

Great effort to get out that time of the evening. It'll pay off in April :)    



Blogger Sekhmet stopped running and said ...
Thursday, 08 February, 2007

I actually quite enjoy the late evening runs in the mid week once I get going, but they can reduce you to tears when you have had a long and tiring day, it's almost 9pm and you STILL have 90mins of running on the program!

Look after those ribs - as much as I hate to say it, perhaps you need a few rest days to allow them to heel properly.....    



» Post a Comment