Bula ! (Or is that Guten Tag ?)


Well we're back from Fiji and we had a blast. The Resort was beautiful as were the Fijians and the coral and the fish and the beer. After significant negotiations with The Bride I even got the kids out to do some snorkeling and they were amazed at the sights beneath the calm waters of our lagoon.


On the running front, well there hasn't been much. On day 1 in Fiji I kitted up and ran on the main road towards Suva. The plan was to run 15mins and then turn back for home. I got through that but not without a fair bit of pain in the hip and top of the quad. Grrr. So I basically opted for R&R rehab and spent a fair bit of time doing water running - that is wading to and from the swim-up bar and back. ;)


So it would seem that my Canberra Marathon aspirations are now at an end. It will teach me a lesson that a croc like me should always enter these events with a late entry to avoid the loss of $$$. Oh well. I see that Dave & Fran have a strict refund policy. Whilst I don't want the cash back, an entry into the 2009 Race would be a nice gesture. I will email him today and test the water.


In other news I have picked up a mega infection in my inner ear and it hurts like hell. Exacerbated by the flight home no doubt. The quack in Bondi Junction (Fijian Indian coincidentally) says that it is common for divers to get infections blah blah blah. Yeah whatever just get rid of this sledge hammer pain in my head ! They are slow to heal apparently, sigh. Yes I am a sook I know.


In other other news our family is going to have a white Christmas this year. We'll be booking in the next week or so, but it looks like this part time runner will be donning the long skins and playing Santa in Lauterbrunnen, Switzerland. That's --> the Hotel Oberland that we are likely to book. Just a typical simple (100 year old) hotel perched high on some mountain (name TBA). We'll get there by train from Zurich apparently. Looks nice and it's and near some cog railway called Jungrfraujoch (the highest rail station in Europe @ 11,000 feet). Stay tuned for some serious hill reps leading up to that ! LOL
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Friday, 28 March, 2008

What a shame about Canberra. Do you have a Plan B eg Gold Coast?

All those great family hols, your kids are so lucky. Wanna adopt me :)    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Friday, 28 March, 2008

Wow! So much news. I'm sorry that it wasn't all positive. Sorry to hear about the marathon. Get that leg sorted out & you'll be singing "The Hills are Alive" while out on your trail run in no time at all ;-)    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Friday, 28 March, 2008

Sorry to hear that the hip won't mend in time for the Marathon. At least you will have a good start at SMH Half on all of us. I don't think the Mountain in NZ is that high.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 29 March, 2008

Good luck on getting the $$$ back. Don't like your chances though.

That's a bugger about Canberra. I hear Nail Can is good hill training for Switzerland ;)    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 01 April, 2008

Unfortunately you can't run all the way up to the Jungfraujoch. However, the second half of the Jungfrau marathon goes from Lauterbrunnen to Kleine Scheidegg! Almost 2000 meters up and spectacular scenery! The course is permanently signposted, so easy to find. You can take the train back, or run down again on the other side to Grindelwald!    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Saturday, 05 April, 2008

I'm thinkng I need to take up that water running regemin....

Marathons are like busess - your timetable often gets screwed with but another one eventually comes along :)    



» Post a Comment