SMH 1/2M

21.1km | 2:00:20 I've had the flu for the past week, no running means no blogging. I only started feeling OK on Saturday, so I was amazed how good I felt this morning (must have been the sudafed with redbull chaser breakfast !). I met up with a heap of CRs before the race and at the gun settled into a slow pace with Omni. We were swept along with the crowd and realised after the first KM that we were running at 4:20/km pace ! Way too fast for me so we pulled back and tagged along with Horrie for the next 6/7km. I was without my GPS for this race (couldn't get a signal under the buildings) but must admit that I lost my way with pace. It wasn't until the 15km marker that I looked at my watch and saw 1:28:xx. Yowza, way too slow to crack 2 hours. I was feeling pretty good and decided that I would bring it home hard and try and finish under the big 2:00. I lifted my pace through the gardens and ran hard, no very hard, down Macquarie, Hunter & Pitt up to George Street to Argyle. By then I was on the money for a sub 2 finish. I ran neck and neck with the clock and passed hundreds (OK tens) of people in the last 1km along Hickson Road only to finish 20 secs off the mark. Arrrgh ! No big deal and very happy with that result. A big thank you to Larry the Physio and Andy the Pod for your work in the last months. Great to catch up with all Cool Runners, Cool Bloggers & Striders today and to finally meet the lovely Queen Luckylegs (albeit on the run). Mood: :D
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 May, 2005

Well done Gronk!!!!! I always knew you would do it.

Keep it up but stay out of the physio clinic    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 May, 2005

Congratulations Gronk on completing your first Half in such fine style (particularly given the hurdles you have been faced with along the way). It was lovely to meet you before the race.    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 May, 2005

Hey mate - great to meet you before the race, and to hear that you ran a really strong and sensible race for your first half. You should be rightly proud of the achievement.

I'll make sure we catch up for a few drnks next time we're racing ok?    



Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 May, 2005

Excellent run Gronk, especially the way you brought it home from 15km.

A new PB, which I'm sure you shall better soon.    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Monday, 23 May, 2005

Great to meet you, Gronk; next time I hope we'll get a chance to say more than "Hello"! a terrific run...congratulations. LL    



Blogger Horrie stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 24 May, 2005

Congratulations on finishing your debut Half so strongly Gronk. It was great running with you on Sunday. You looked so comfortable out there. You wouldn't have realised what an interrupted preparation you had to get there. Soak it all up mate - you deserve it.    



» Post a Comment