Central Coast Half Marathon

1:48:09 PB | 21.1km | Race Today was a surprise result after a disjointed few months since the Blackmores Half. From September I have been up and down with injury and unable to make many long runs at all. I managed to put it together for the Striders Half in October but then was plagued by shin splints thereafter. So today's 4:10 PB was with great satisfaction. The satisfaction for me was not that I made a PB, but more so that I could put a 21km run together at a decent pace. The PB is nice, but the course today is as flat as a pancake and compared to my 1:52 at Lane Cove - I think that they are on a par. I stayed at my Dads at Umina on Saturday night and left there at 5.30am for the drive up to The Entrance. Before the race I met up with a host of CoolRunners and CoolBloggers and was happy to finally meet Go-Girl, Two Pennys & Kaz. Plu was also there recording his Podcasts and we managed to chat right at the gun. I will post the link for that once it goes on-line. We look off on the 1:50 Minertrain which was paced by Miner also co-paced by Miss Skarmel. On the train was BennyR, Go-Girl, Tiger Angel, sfGnome, Plu and Two Pennys. We ran together for the first 10kms in a group and chatted all the way. It was a great way to get through the first stanza without having to think too much about pace or the fatigue that usually comes with it. At about the turnaround, Tiger Angel and sfGnome had dropped back (as they were only ever to treat the race as a long run only) as did Plu and Benny. Poor Benny's petrol tank let him down today - but I'm sure there will be plenty of good runs in the guy in the very near future. Chin up Benny ! I felt pretty good at that stage and was comfortable at stepping up the pace a tad and was joined by the pace princess Miss Skarmel. One thing that she brought to the table was a constant rhythm. That together with the pleasant chat got me through the next 8/9kms without any real worries. The last two kms was pretty tough and I started to feel a bit light headed and the lungs started to burn. I don't have my splits but I'm sure that we upped the pace to bring it home as we passed about a dozen runners in the last 10 mins. If Miss S blogs her splits, I'll pinch them and put them up here. After the race we had a few quiet drinks at the pub which was a nice way of winding down. Also nice to meet CR Royworlds who picked up a first in age group gong for the half. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

Nice work Gronk!!! What a effort after injuries etc. Looks like a great course. Congratulations... that is a huge PB :-)    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

Congratulations Gronk. Sensational result, particularly given the troubles your shins have been causing you over the last few months.

I'm really happy for you :-)    



Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

Great of you to take the time to get some pics - and still keep up the pace for a fantastic PB gronk! You looked like you were never in danger of a good time yesterday and didn't need the skaminertrain getting you home - but how much fun was it? One of the most enjoyable races I've ever had thanks to our tight little crew :)    



Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

way to go Gronk, sounds likw you had a little bit more up your sleeve if you could take all those photos!    



Blogger Horrie stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

Congratulations on your PB Gronk. It was a nice way to round the year out. Just imagine what you are capable of if you get some good consistent injury free training in. The sky is the limit. Looking forward to seeing you out and about in 2006 if I don't see you before that.    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Monday, 05 December, 2005

Yay Gronk!!!!

Congrats on a fantastic run and an incredible PB. And you stopped and took pics while you did it!    



» Post a Comment