Nail Can Hill 2006

11.3km | Race | 56:56 PB Week 11 of 13 Nail Can Hill is a tough race because of the steep incline that tears at your quads and glutes in the first few kms, the undulating terrain at the top of the course and the downhill running that tests the nerves at the end. Yesterday Nail Can Hill presented a tougher challenge with cold windy conditions of about 7 degrees and driving rain. Pre-race the runners huddled under marquees, under eaves or stayed in their cars until just before race time. Numbers appeared to be down from last year with many of the social walkers no doubt stayed at home in their warm beds. I was staying at nearby Jindera with my mate of 30 years CR Ripley and we arrived 30 minutes before the race and spent much of that time hiding from the wind in the grandstand of the AFL oval. We made our move to the start line with only a few minutes to spare where I met CR Awiseman. Awiseman is from just over the Victoria border and he was shooting for an "age buster" time and was hoping for sub 58. Apparently he achieved that - so very well done mate ! At the gun the course takes you for about 1.5km of flat road from the Lavington Sports Ground out to the foot of Nail Can Hill. By the time we reached the start of the fire trail the 1,000 strong crowd had thinned which made the going a little easier to negotiate. Soon the first steep climb was upon us and the trail had turned into a series of small creeks. So not only was the ascent straight up but you had to weave from left to right to avoid sploshing ankle deep on water. Halfway up and at the steepest part I was reduced to running little fairy steps and digging the toes into the mud hoping that my foothold would not give way. I reached the top of the major climb in about 23:30 and knew that I had to recover quickly so that I could race the middle section hard. This section would be the difference between a solid race and a PB. I ran really hard for the next 4 or 5 kms and although it was very slippery I had full confidence in my Brooks Cascadias who's chunky trail soles had me in 4WD mode all the way. That confidence was severely tested when I reached the downhill section. Running downhill on a trail is hard in fine weather. Trying to lean into the hill whilst watching for loose gravel is heart in the mouth stuff. Add a few inches of mud to the surface and a creek in the middle and its the equivalent of runners kamikaze ! One runner ahead of me lost his footing and slid a good 15 meters on his arse. I decided that the only way down at any real pace was on the edge of the trail in the leaf litter so I could get some sort of decent traction. So with arms waving about I launched myself down the embankment hoping that I didnt end up the same way. Soon I was at the base of the hill and in one piece. After a few turns of the road the mighty Murray River was in my sights below at the bottom of the valley. One last dig deep got me home into the finishing shute in 56:56 which was a 8 min PB. So I'm very happy with that under the circumstances. I then stood by the side of the shute and watched Cool Blogger Wombatface come in after a few minutes after Ripley a few minutes after that. It was a great day even under those trying conditions in a really well organized race. I must also say that for the $12 entry (which includes a t-shirt), it is not only the hardest race pound for pound that I have ever done but also the friendliest and the best value. I will be back next year for sure. A few pics that I took on the run will be posted tonight. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger allrounder stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

great run Gronk...looks like your preparation paid off...    



Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

A top result Gronk - a great barometer of how you have improved in the last 12 months, injuries and all.    



Blogger Katie stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Well done Gronk!! All your hard work paid off! Sounds like a tough run :-)    



Blogger Lulu stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Great run Gronk! Sounds like it was a tough day with the weather. Good thing you were in 4WD mode.    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Yowser an 8 minute PB is huuuuge Gronk - well done mate!

We will have you signing up for Six Foot next ;-)    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Fantastic effort Gronk!

It must be immensely satisfying to nail a key race like that. Well Done!

After visiting Albury a couple of months ago and liking it a whole lot more than when I lived there 13 years ago I have been eyeing this race off for the future. Put me down as an expression of interest in joining you next year!

Cheers,
Ben    



Blogger Simlin stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Sounds like everyone racing this week end got a bit wet and a bit cold...great race Gronk under the circumstances an 8 min PB is AWESOME!    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

That was a big PB Gronk! What a day eh? The photo 'half way up' will give people an idea of the conditions. Probably worth a minute or more I reckon.

It'll be good to see more CRs and bloggers there next year!    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Congrats Gronk, an 8 minute PB is awesome. You are becoming quite the hill runner. I think you are another one I'm staying behind at C2S for fear of being mowed down.


PS Great pics!    



Blogger TA and the Gnome stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

It's great to see you beat those injuries and that Hill! Awesome work and congrats on the huge!! PB.

TA    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

Congratulations on a huge PB mate. All those sand runs at Bondi certainly paid off. And what no mention of any shin splints? That is great!    



Blogger TA and the Gnome stopped running and said ...
Monday, 08 May, 2006

In terms of pain and discomfort per dollar spent, I'd say you got a bargain! :-)

Congratulations on the run in difficult circumstances. They're the worst to do and the best to remember...

Gnome    



» Post a Comment