Holy soleus Batman !

Week 10 of 18 I had a team meeting with Larry the Physio this morning and his call on the "pop" in my calf was a partial tear in the soleus. Never knew I had a soleus. Good to know. Probably some old scar tissue that gave way it seems. At least it's not in the achilles, so that's good news. With much ice over the past 72 hours I can report that I'm walking and (almost) without a limp. I can do a straight leg calf stretch no worries, but it's the bent leg calf stretch that's a killer. Larry wasn't too worried about me not making Canberra and we talked about a plan to get me back running and then amending my program to get me to the start with sufficient base so that I can enjoy the day. This week I will be doing a little walking and sessions on the static bike to keep my fitness up. Lots of anti-inflams, ice and calf let downs will be on the menu as well. Hopefully I will have enough mobility by Friday to have a run on the soft sand. Fingers crossed anyway. Mood: --->
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Blogger miners stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

fingers are crossed for you mate.

Hey, while it might be good news that the injury was to the soleus and not the achilles, are you sure the original injury wasn't also to the soleus? What with the gastrocs, soleus & achilles all being pretty intimate down there, I wonder how many times suspected achilles injuries (mine included) were actually another tendon/muscle altogether?    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

Hope you can get back running soon mate. Good to here it wasn't the greek god and 'just' the soleus    



Blogger Vicki stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

Yah.... two major muscles in the calf. Gastrocnemius - the big guy at the top and Soleus The skinny guy underneath. http://www.exrx.net/Muscles/Soleus.html

I had a calf tear, and I wont elborate on how I did it 'cos it was foolish, but it took a while to heal. You DO need to do long (30-40 seconds), gentle calf stretches, on a step or the pushing a tree type (straight leg - keeping the heel down)

Hope recover quickly    



Blogger Vicki stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

oooppps that should read:
Hope YOU recovery quickly.    



Blogger Vicki stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

S#&T!! got it wrong again....
oh well you know what I mean.    



Blogger NottsLad stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

I should have bought shares in whoever makes Voltaren when I first started reading your Blog!
Hope you recover quickly!    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

Oh well, better than a snapped achilles! That was my City to Surf injury. I found biking was fine after a while.

Wait until there's no pain walking (up and down stairs included), then wait 3 or 4 more days before commencing gentle, flat running.

Hope you can make it to the line.    



Blogger 2P stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

Mate the captions that spring to mind with that photo.....

Glad to hear it doesn't sound too serious Gronk - I'z got me fingers crossed for ya too!    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 13 February, 2007

Look after that soleous Gronk, you won't be surprised to learnt that that is a muscle with which I've had many a battle. What is it with you & I? What happened to our deal not to be injured this year? Hopefully you'll recover quickly & that will be the end of injury - for the both of us - this year !    



Blogger PortRunr stopped running and said ...
Wednesday, 14 February, 2007

The way yours happened sounds exactly like mine, although yours seems a bit lower...and I described mine as as sudden seizure (or something like that).
Sounds like you're in good hands to still make it to Canberra. Lots of finger crossing going on!    



» Post a Comment