A race lost


I don't usually blog about personal stuff. However I write with profound sadness that my step father and great mate lost his battle with cancer last night.


Baz, was diagnosed with cancer around C2S 2006 at age 60 after finding a lump on his bicep. It turned out that the lump was a secondary tumor with the prime being on his lung and adrenal gland.


He was a fighter and showed the small world around him how the power of positive thoughts can assist in the fight. He was only given a few months to live back then yet fought a great bout to stick it out for this long.


The last month or so was very hard for him. It broke my heart to see him lose the ability to walk more than a few feet and live with the chronic pain. Even the round the clock doses of morphine could not take the edge off his pain as it had recently spread into his bones and liver.


In a show of true guts and determination he made the short trip with Mum from their house in Double Bay to see the kids and the rest of his extended family on Xmas Day. It may have only been for 20 mins or so but I could see that it meant everything to him - and everything to us.


I was with him and Mum when he died at 4.00am. I am glad that he went quietly at home and that the pain is now stopped.


He was a great man and taught me about hard work, love and single minded determination. His never give up attitude will stay with me forever.


We will sure miss him.
« Home | Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »
| Next »

Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

So sorry to hear your sad news Gronk - take care and hopefully catch up with you soon

(((Gronk)))    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

Thinking of you. Take care and we will see you soon.

Call me if there is anything I can do.    



Blogger Jen stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

I am so sorry to hear of your loss Gronk. You & your mum are in my thoughts.

x    



Blogger Bennyr stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

Gronk, I extend my deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Ben    



Blogger Carolyne stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

I hope that your mother, and you and your family can remember all the good times and feel some relief that the pain and suffering has ceased.

Hang in there kiddo.    



Blogger Superflake stopped running and said ...
Sunday, 30 December, 2007

Sorry to hear about your Step father mate. Take care mate.    



Blogger Tesso stopped running and said ...
Monday, 31 December, 2007

So sorry for your loss Gronk.    



Blogger Unknown stopped running and said ...
Tuesday, 01 January, 2008

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Gronk. Thinking of you and your family.    



Blogger Ewen stopped running and said ...
Friday, 04 January, 2008

Sorry mate. That's sad news. It sounds like he was a great bloke.    



Anonymous Anonymous stopped running and said ...
Monday, 07 January, 2008

My thoughts are with and your family.

Bernie G    



» Post a Comment